February 6, 2013

Becoming Left-Handed


The wrist pain from November has gotten worse, and intermittent pain, cold, tingling, and numbness has spread to hands, forearms, and elbows. The doctor recommended wrist splints for now, to see if they help before trying more aggressive treatments like surgery.

In the meantime, I have been trying to "conserve" my dominant right hand by learning to do more things with my left, like brushing my teeth, typing (I am typing this with my left hand), eating (a good way to lose weight, especially if you try chopsticks).

I used to use my hands all the time, for everything. Now I imagine myself like Homestar Runner, armless, yet not as content because it's not my natural state.

Any suggestions for dictation software? Typing hurts more than sketching or taking pictures, so in the meantime I will try to post more of those and less of text.

2 comments:

  1. Make sure it's not being aggravated by hypochondria like mine was...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes, that doesn't sound good. I may actually have the opposite problem, where I think they're all better and then I'll go overdo it. I've been wearing wrist stabilizers while I sleep, which seems to help. Hope your wrists (and hypochondria) get better soon!

      Delete