February 14, 2012

Happy Birthday, Blog!

One thing I have always wanted to write is a design manifesto. And I thought, wouldn't it be wonderful, a year after starting this blog, if I posted this manifesto that I've been wanting to write since I was uh... a teenager? Wow, that's some procrastination.

Delicious homemade carrot cake at Elmwood Press in Campbell, CA

But perhaps it's less a matter of procrastination than lack of an original mission. My intent to produce thoughtful, quality designs that are well-suited to user, purpose, and context, is nothing new, and the rules of achieving this are already (mostly) well documented:
  1. Consider the audience/user, the intended message/use/interaction/purpose, and its context.
  2. Select form, style, color, typography, etc. that best suit the above.
  3. Iterate until the design is successful.
  4. If you are unable to define the audience/user, the intended message/use/interaction, or the context, there's no point. Don't bother designing anything until those are defined, or else the design risks being useless and soulless. 
So maybe today wasn't the day for the groundbreaking, reactionary manifesto I had dreamt of as a teen.  Another day, or perhaps that ship has already sailed. But happy birthday all the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment