July 28, 2011

Alexander McQueen

It's difficult, if not impossible, to tell from my personal presentation that I really love fashion, but as long as I can remember, I've been interested in fashion and costumes, their history and construction. (I taught myself to sew when I was in elementary school. I was also obsessed with tailors as a child, and read Beatrix Potter's The Tailor of Gloucester a LOT of times.)

Anyway. The Metropolitan Museum of Art has an exhibition on the work of the late fashion designer Alexander McQueen, Savage Beauty, that runs until August 7.

I won't get a chance to see the exhibit in person, but I did get to peruse a copy of the Savage Beauty book, which in some ways is better than seeing the exhibit, because you can see detailed close-up photos.


The clothes range from relatively classic with unique cutting and construction, to romantic gothic, nationalistic, historical, botanical, futuristic, and "alien." After perusing the book, I flipped back to the beginning to look through it again. I found it really inspiring, everything from choice of materials, to the meticulous workmanship, the feeling of elegant decay, to there being a story/history around each garment.

(That last item, in my experience, comes from starting with a big idea and a purpose, and working toward the specifics, instead of the other way around, as I sometimes do when I'm feeling lost. Note to self: don't do that - it never gets you anywhere!)

No comments:

Post a Comment