March 30, 2011

Dear Sir or Madam


Last summer, I helped organize a greeting card exchange with other letterpress printers from the studio I go to. Each printer designed and printed 80 copies of an A2 (4.25 in. x 5.5 in.) greeting card, with choice of message and design.

I decided to do something typographic/calligraphic, with the words 'Dear Sir or Madam.' Though meant as a 'blank' card, it could also serve as a tongue-in-cheek card for a beloved intersex or transgender friend.

I drew the lettering with paper and pencil, then scanned it, and traced it digitally. To emphasize the lush type and the old-fashionedness of the phrase, I used bronze ink on chocolate duplex paper. Contrasting interiors in sand and sky make the cards easy to write in.

After printing, we folded the cards using a Scor-It one of the printers brought in. It worked so well that after the project was over, several printers went out to go buy their own! 

No comments:

Post a Comment