February 14, 2011

What is this?

Entropy is the quantity of chaos and disorder in a thermodynamic system. It's the only quantity in the physical sciences that specifies a particular direction for time; the second law of thermodynamics states that as we move forward in time, the entropy of an isolated system will increase.

In other words, the increase of chaos and disorder is inevitable. Completely hopeless! Unless...

...you put more energy into the system from outside. With more energy (work), you can put things back in order, and with even more energy, keep them that way.

Oh No Entropy! is a project that grows out of my quest to study, understand, and master typography and, indirectly, graphic design.

I chose this name to remind me that design won't do itself; it requires huge quantities of work from me and maybe even others. (Hint: collabos!) If genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration, then I had better get to work!

People who I've told this name to invariably have one of two reactions:
1. Smile, laugh, or look amused.
2. Ask what entropy is.

No comments:

Post a Comment